- In ode to Back to the Future Day; things to do today to help your financial future
- Our financial future will be here before we know it
- The importance of planing seeds today
- Quick review of Lewis Howe’s “School of Greatness”
- Quote of the lesson
The movie, Back to the Future II, premiered on November 22 1989, which also happened to be my eighth birthday. If you’ve seen the movie you know that part of the plot is the main characters going into the future, October 21st 2015. Now since the premier was almost 26 years ago, most of you probably weren’t old enough to think about or even care about money then. Heck, some of us listening today weren’t even born yet in 1989. So today we are discussing things that you do today with your money that your future self will look back on and appreciate.
Below are a few of the things that we talk about in today’s lesson. While none of these are really new or ground breaking, they just put a different spin on having a healthy financial plan.
- Paying off debt
- Developing a career you love
- Traditional job or your own business
- Most careers and businesses start from nothing
- If you have a desire-take some time and money and invest in that
- What would happen in our congregations or communities
- Developed a plan to continuously give for 25 to 30 years?
- Think of what could happen
- Working together with your spouse on money
- Handling money well impacts other areas of your life
- Not only improve your bottom line
Now with this being said, we don’t know the future and I am certainly not guaranteeing you will find success if you do one of these things. However I do know by looking back in the past that these steps DO have a history of working out, in a big way. The thing is that the next 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 years are going to go by in a blink and will happen regardless of what we do. So why not let us have something to show for it by making wise financial decisions today that we can point to in the future as a tipping point.
In addition I was able to read a rough copy of Lewis Howe’s new book “The School of Greatness”. I highly recommend the book. While it doesn’t directly speak to your personal finances, the book is eight chapters full of stories, wisdom, and practical action steps to take to achieve your goals, whatever they might be.
This lesson’s quote is brought to you by Audible.com.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb
Enjoyed this lesson? If so, please consider taking a few minutes to leave a review of the show either in Stitcher SmartRadio, or iTunes. For a step by step video of how that works, please watch this video on how to leave a review in iTunes.
If you have any comments, questions, or ideas for future shows you can send them to me and I will integrate them into a future show. There are two ways to get in touch with me: 1.) Email me at JWFinancialcoaching@gmail.com – Please put “podcast” in the subject line and keep your questions brief so they are readable on air. 2.) Simply fill out the form on the contact page. Please fill out your name, email, and your question/comment/suggestion and we will read it on air.